The aptly named South of Africa is a unique new group of hotels and guest houses consisting of 6 establishments in two of South Africa’s greatest tourism attractions – Limpopo and the Western Cape. The newest addition, named Modimolle Funky Stay, joins the group in May 2012 that will, like its siblings, offers guests an array of accommodation to suit everyone’s specific needs and budget.
Ranging from the 5-star Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse in Paternoster to the 3 star Shangri-La Country Hotel outside Bela Bela, South of Africa has filled the much needed gap in the tourism industry raided by overpriced no-thrills sleep overs. According to owner Johan Jansen van Vuuren, South of Africa is not your stereotypical hotel chain like most groups in South Africa. Catering for individuals’ needs is what sets South of Africa apart – whether guests desire the sought-after luxury of a 5 star establishment, or comfortable accommodation at a budget price. Each property has established their own identity true to the areas they are located in – the expectations of standardised accommodation are surpassed by the unique character of each room. The only similarity throughout is the adherence to a strict standard of service given to every guest.
The portfolio of properties consists of:
1) Situated within the village of Paternoster, the Five Star Abalone House Boutique Guesthouse boasts 10 magnificent suites, designed around a tranquil, central courtyard. Eight of the rooms have sweeping sea views and many have intimate outdoor relaxation areas. There’s even a rooftop Jacuzzi, with a panoramic sea view, for the enjoyment of guests. Alternatively, cool off in the elegant swimming pool surrounded by a colourful potted garden. In furnishings, modern pieces mix easily with oversized antiques and rugs, and old silver lives alongside crystal and feather fringed lamps. Deep reds, purples, oranges and intense earth tones play against stone floors and rough wooden ceilings. Huge fireplaces dominate central areas and dance with warmth in winter. At night, the in-house Saffron Restaurant glitters with light from polished chandeliers and glowing candles, the globally influenced surrounds the perfect foil for in-house chef Darren Stewart’s decadent Afro-global menu, peppered with local produce and select local wines.
2) The local West Coast village of Paternoster also offers six luxurious units grouped under the name Paternoster Seaside Cottages. Providing discerning travellers with the ultimate holiday experience is but the start. The generous open-plan living rooms of the two “Seaside Cottages” open onto verandas with rim flowing pools. “Pasella’s” concertina style sliding doors lead from a stylish interior enhanced with a huge fireplace, antique furniture and large dining room table for those gregarious meals. Alive with artistic flair, “Kliphuisie” is a romantic haven for that special couple wanting a weekend escape. “Seemeeu” is a family holiday home with comfortable interiors, perfect for families or a group of friends. All bedrooms are luxuriously appointed with absolute attention to detail. “Oppidraai” comprises of two opulent sea facing units. The stylish interior reflects the rustic, earthy tones whilst opening onto private balconies with magnificent panoramic views of the Atlantic coastline.
3) The Shangri-La Country Hotel is a taste of Paradise right on your doorstep. The word Shangri-La translates into ‘Place of Eternal Youth’. The Country Hotel is a secluded hideaway of great beauty and a sanctuary of peace and tranquillity nestled against the verdant backdrop of the Waterberg. We offer the elegance and charm of yesteryear in an uncommercialised atmosphere, with the true home-from-home pampering. The newly refurbished complex boasts a brand new modern 200-seater restaurant, wooden deck, gentleman’s bar and breakfast room. Accommodation is in 49 en-suite comfortable rooms surrounded by the lush tropical gardens. All the rooms are within walking distance of the romantic Chapel, sparkling swimming pool, fully equipped conference centres and other hotel facilities. Wireless internet facilities are available to guests. Indulge in the marvels of Shangri-La and rejuvenate at this hidden jewel an hour north of Gauteng.
4) The Elephant Springs Hotel and Cabanas is situated in the popular inland tourism town of Bela Bela in Limpopo Province, less than an hour from Pretoria (Gauteng.) The hotel offers 44 rooms, each with en suite bathroom, select DSTV channels and air conditioning, as well as 20 spacious and fully equipped self-catering Cabanas. The hotel is situated in the heart of Bela Bela, directly across the street from the popular Forever Resorts with its hot mineral baths and Hydro, and is within walking distance of shops, restaurant and movies. It is the perfect destination for relaxing family holidays, weddings, cocktail parties, conferences, launches and exhibitions. Other facilities include a restaurant, ladies bar and sparkling swimming pool for the exclusive use of guests. There are also conference facilities for up to 250 delegates, with 3 air-conditioned venues to choose from.
5) Enjoy farm-life and warm hospitality in the self-catering units of Birdsong Cottages. Choose from comfortable standard four and eight sleeper cottages or luxurious four sleeper rondavel and up market 6 sleeper thatched villa. With the most tranquilizing nature scenes in the Waterberg, this popular bird watching area (a total of 50 species has been counted so far!) is within close proximity of the Nylsvley wetlands. Hiking trails on the farm offer breath-taking views whilst the sparkling pool in the heart of the bush is the perfect spot for lazing in the hot African sun. Birdsong is ideal for small functions, conferences, weddings and parties. The beautiful chapel offers seating for 50-60 guests. Birdsong is situated on a 32ha nature and game farm, ideally located and within easy driving distance of Johannesburg and Polokwane, just 14km outside of Modimolle. For that well-earned break, escape to Birdsong with its abundance of indigenous trees, prolific birdlife, beautiful plants and free-roaming game.
6) Offering comfortable overnight accommodation on the very popular R101 that leads from Pretoria all the way to Polokwane, lies the newest edition to South of Africa named Modimolle Funky Stay. This road passes the Portfolio’s other Limpopo properties too – so you can pick and choose to visit any of the other fine properties for supper, afternoon tea or a stroll through the beautiful Waterberg landscape. Modimolle Funky Stay offers exactly what the name suggests – funky overnight accommodation. The interiors of these ultra-cool rooms are bright and colourful and has a fresh new take on giving guests a unique experience. The first 14 rooms are part of Phase One, with plans to expand to a total of 20 rooms, with conference facilities to follow, as well as accommodation for larger groups. Modimolle Funky Stay is situated 4km outside of the well-known town previously known as Nylstroom.
Be sure to keep South of Africa’s portfolio of fine properties in mind when planning your next holiday, conference or event. For more information, visit their website at www.southofafrica.co.za or e-mail email@example.com.